Upgrading your home’s appearance can be as easy as replacing the doorknobs of your interior and exterior doors. Our door replacement company has hundreds of doorknobs to choose from; from traditional brass to modern stainless steel, from round knobs to sleek levered handles. Not only will this improve your home’s value, but it will also improve the overall appearance of your house.
The good news about changing doorknobs is that it’s a relatively quick DIY project and it’s more affordable than replacing the entire door!
Replacing Your Home’s Doorknobs
- Using a phillips head screwdriver, remove the screws on the faceplate. Many older doorknobs will have visible screws. If there aren’t any screws, then you will need to insert a sharp thin object into the latch hole in order to release the doorknob.
- Pull the knob away from the door — be sure to hold the door with one hand and remove the knob with the other. You may need to wiggle the knob a bit to break it free of the stem which hold the knob in place.
- Next, unscrew the faceplace using that same phillips head screwdriver. You may need to use a flathead screwdriver or knife to dry the faceplate off.
- Remove the second doorknob on the other side of the door as well as the faceplace.
- Unscrew the latch by using a phillips head screwdriver. There should be two screws — one above and one below — the latch that need to be loosened. Then pull the latch out of the door.
- To install the new doorknob, put the new latch into the door and tighten the screws. Make sure the flat part of the latch is facing the inside of the room.
- Next, push the bars of the external doorknob into the latch holes. There should be three holes and three bars, so make sure that these line up.
- Screw the faceplace of the external doorknob onto the door so that the doorknob stays in place.
- Repeat steps 7 and 8 for the interior side of the door!
If you’re having trouble replacing your doorknobs or are looking to purchase new materials, contact our door installation company today! We also provide homeowners with door installation services for storm doors, front doors, fire doors and more.